Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What We did on Jason's Birthday

Jason is TWO! When he woke up we took him downstairs to a wonderful sight: balloons and Cap'n Crunch. Kyle got them the night before because we knew Jason would be crazy over both of them. I was pleased that I had finished sewing our Happy Birthday banner in time for both of our birthdays.

I am the mean mom who takes my child to the doctor's office on his birthday. I was just anxious to have the visit checked off the list. I knew he would forget about the ordeal quickly, but I did feel bad while we were in the office. Jason kept saying "I want to go home." He was so adamant about not wanting to be examined that he kept running to the door and opening it in an effort to escape. I finally told him that if he was a good boy and sat still for the rest of the exam, I would give him a fruit roll-up. He didn't necessarily sit still, but we ended with the shot and hurried out to the car to the fruit roll-ups I had luckily thought to bring last minute. He ate three in the car. And then when we got home he ate four more. I put my foot down after that, saying he had been rewarded bountifully.

After Jason's feast on fruit roll-ups we loaded ourselves and PB&J sandwiches into the car and drove off to meet Megan for a hike. We hiked up Bell Canyon. Sweet Megan carried Jason half of the way up for me. She also thought to bring three brightly frosted cookies along to celebrate Jason's birthday. Jason helped himself to all three. Megan and I had to eat the cookies after they were stripped of their frosting.




Jason's definition of a good hike is finding places where you can throw rocks in water; this was a good hike. Notice he is holding a rock in both pictures. I wish I had taken a picture of Jason with Megan because she is such an awesome aunt.




In the evening Kyle and I made Jason a steak dinner. Steak is one of the few dinner items Jason loves. Following dinner came presents. We got Jason several die cast "Cars 2" cars. Jason loved them. We also got him a train table and train tracks...but no trains. I was planning on getting them, but I hadn't found the right "used" deal yet. I had hoped Jason would be happy driving his cars on the train table in the meantime. Boy was I wrong. Five minutes after Jason had been playing with his cars he came up and said he wanted more presents, and where are the trains? By Saturday I was so sick of hearing about our lack of trains that I gave up on the idea of scoring a great deal on Thomas trains and instead drove with Jason to Ikea to pick out some cheap trains. He was satisfied.

Happy birthday Jason!

No comments: