Wednesday, July 13, 2011

To Jason On Your Second Birthday

Dear Jason,

I am amazed that we've had you in our family for only two years. I mean that in a good way. You are such a part of our family that it is getting harder and harder to remember what it was like without you. We are so grateful to have you as our son. I want to share some things that I observe about you at this stage of your life.

The great outdoors are where you love to be. You especially love to swing, climb, jump on the tramp, throw rocks in water, shovel sand, take your lawnmower on walks, and hike with mom and dad. It is fun to see you try so hard to jump with both feet on the tramp. The swing is not just a "swing," but it is the "so high swing" because that is how high you want to go. I am glad you love exploring so much, and I am equally glad that you so willingly allow me to put your sunscreen and hat on.

When we are indoors, your favorite toys are cars and trains. You love to send cars down your racetrack and drive both cars and trains on your train table. Additionally, you love books. I love it when you go in your room and pull out a book, flip through a few pages while you talk out loud, set it aside in a pile, then grab the next book until you've read every book on the shelf. Bubbles and candles are other fun toys you enjoy, but I don't get them out very often.

Mommy is still your favorite person. In fact, you're going through yet another "mommy" phase where you cry whenever I leave you with someone else, even if it is daddy. When I get frustrated over this I try to remind myself that you are growing up so quickly that I need to cherish how much you want to be with me.

Getting you dressed in the morning is quite the challenge. You'd prefer to wear your "Cars" pajamas all day long, but I don't let you. What a mean mom I am.

Paci, bear, and blanki are still your lovies. We try to limit their use to nap and bed times. After we lay you down for bed each night, you want us to say "Goodnight paci, goodnight bear, and goodnight blanki." It is very sweet to see how much they help you settle down to sleep. You are still an awesome sleeper at night, but I fear you may try to drop your nap sooner rather than later. Let's hope I'm wrong!

Developmentally you are right on track. When it comes to talking, you are way above average. You can say any word we ask you to say, and you are figuring out how to express yourself in several-word sentences. Pronouns are still hard to figure out (you say "hold you" instead of "hold me," for example), but I know they'll come along soon enough.

You are a bit of a mixture in social skills. In some ways you are quite social, but in others, not so much. You love to play with friends, especially cousins. We try to find friends to play with every day. You also love to visit your grandmas and you often ask to visit them. It doesn't hurt that they have the trampolines and frozen treats. On the other hand, you don't like it when strangers talk to you or touch you. You give them a loud cry of protest or turn your head when they bother you in such a way. The good news is that I don't worry as much about you running off with a stranger.

One of your great social strengths is your sensitivity to other people's feelings. Whenever any other child cries, you join right in with them, even if you don't know what they are crying about. When mom or dad get mad at you, rather than brush our rebuke aside, you take it to heart (sometimes with tears) and try to do better. We end time-out sessions with hugs because we both need the reassurance that everything will be OK as long as we are there for each other.

I want you to know that dad and I love you very much. We thank God every night that we have you in our lives. We are proud of how you are growing into a strong, yet sensitive boy. We are so grateful that we are sealed as an eternal family.

love always,

mom

No comments: