This past weekend we had a campout scheduled for the boy scouts (I'm assistant scoutmaster). I was planning on taking Jason with me and Kate got him extra prepared for it by telling him how fun it was going to be. When we showed up at the church on Friday to go the only other person who showed up was another leader. The other leader had already reserved our campsite and asked if I wanted to take Jason anyway. I thought about just doing a campout in the back yard, but I wanted to give Jason an actual camping experience. So I decided to take him. We went to one of the campsites at the base of Mount Timpanogos on the Alpine Loop.
Here is Jason helping set up the tent:
While setting up the tent, Jason pinched the palm of his hand on a tent pole. It ripped his skin and was pretty painful. He was out of commission for about 10 minutes while I finished putting the tent up.
In order to help settle him down, I decided to get the fire going. He was very excited to build a fire and roast marshmallows:
My favorite part of the night was while I was working on the fire. I was crouched down blowing on the flames and Jason walked up behind me, put his arms around my neck and said "I love you Dad". Even though he hurt his hand, he was still having a great time.
In the morning we took a quick hike. The original plan was to hike Stewart Falls, but without the Scouts I decided to take a walk around Bridal Veil Falls.
At the bottom of the falls they have a little pond where you can feed fish. I didn't have any change to buy food, but a nice guy gave Jason a handful of food to throw in.
Even though I had a hard time sleeping, Jason slept pretty good. He woke up once saying he was cold (he had slowly made his way out of his sleeping bag), so I pushed him back in and he quickly fell back asleep. Overall, we had a great time!


4 comments:
It looks like Jason had a great time!! You are such an awesome Dad. He told me his favorite part was roasting marshmallows.
Thanks for being a super awesome father and husband. Jason and I were both thrilled that you took him camping.
cute!!!!!! the "I love you Dad" part melted my heart. What a cute boy, I'm glad he had a great time and did quite well.
He has your smile! :) -Valerie
Post a Comment