You know your baby is growing up when he tells you to "stop it." Jason used those very words on me yesterday as I was trying to snap up his onesie. He wanted them unsnapped so he could examine his belly-button freely throughout the day. He is growing up so fast now, and always surprising us with new skills and tricks. He's 20 months old and an excellent talker. It is fun for us to hear which words he chooses to imitate. I've learned that I say "alright," "yeah," and "let's do it" a lot because those are phrases Jason has started using.
I was trying to remember when Jason said his first full sentence. It may have been back in December. It was an "I want (fill in the blank)" sentence, which has been incredibly helpful to both of us.
I've started reading a book called "Positive Discipline" so I can better figure out how to deal with Jason when he climbs on the table over and over or throws food everywhere. He knows he goes to time-out for such behavior, so now he continues the misbehavior, but also asks for time-out as he climbs onto the table. Hmmmm. I must be doing something wrong if he's asking for time-out and walking to the corner of his own free will. He thinks it's a big game.
Jason is coming along well with feeding himself. We are, however, always working on expanding the variety of his foods. We figured out a type of reverse psychology that works pretty well on getting him to try new things. If we tell him the food is "Mommy's," then he is more likely to try it than if it is "Jason's." So Jason eats a lot of "Mommy's" food these days, both literally and figuratively. It's no surprise to me that my food tastes more delectable.
The garbage can has become a new fascination for Jason. He checks it routinely throughout the day to see what is in there. I don't worry so much about what he might put in as what he might pull out. He has triumphantly pulled out a half-eaten banana and a smashed piece of bread and enjoyed a few more bites of each. I have to strategically hide certain pieces of trash at the bottom of the garbage, such as candy wrappers or popcorn bags, because he knows he's been missing out once he sees them and demands to have some.
In addition to the garbage can, Jason is also fascinated with cars, dinosaurs, trains, animals, Toy Story, and new clothes. He discovered all the new clothes we bought on clearance for next season, and he prefers to wear them, even though they are a bit large. I wonder if his desire to wear new clothes will stay with him, or if he'll stop caring.
People still comment a lot on his red hair. We sure think it's cute. We love our spunky Jason.
1 comment:
Wow he's growing up so fast! I look forward to the day when Jake can tell me in words what he wants. He's really not picking up on the sign language too well. He has, however, picked up on the garbage can fascination. I can't tell you how many magnets, pens and christmas ornaments I lost down there. I also have to strategically hide things like eggshells and raw chicken wrappers at the bottom of the can.
Post a Comment