Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thankful for Sleep Routines

I am thankful for sleep routines. Not that we had success with them today (it was a REALLY off day following a really late bedtime caused by family socializing), but we did have success Friday night.

Jason fell asleep for the night at 7:00 pm and did not wake up until 4:40 am! Almost a 10 hour stretch and a new record! (Before you congratulate us, please know that he did this only once and has returned to his twice-a-night feedings.) I actually woke up before he did from discomfort. From what I can figure, I must have had more than the usual amount of milk available, and he was so hungry and so tired, that he consumed more than was good for him. As I was preparing to move him back to bed, he spit up twice, which was unusual for him (he is 99% spit-up free). Then, after I placed him bed, Jason proceeded to spew a fountain of milk, soaking his clothes, blanket, hair, and bed. It was so much, I was afraid he was sick. But after cleaning him up, he seemed perfectly fine, and dangerously alert for 5:00 in the morning. Kyle started to rock him back to sleep, but Jason's big eyes just stared up at him. Kyle finally decided to do the sleep routine again. And guess what--it worked! As soon as Kyle started singing the song, Jason's eyes drooped shut. We were so grateful he was able to go back to sleep so easily after the ordeal. Now if only his mom could have fallen back asleep as easily.....

1 comment:

Heather said...

poor guy, that is a lot of spit-up! And I am sorry about throwing him off his sleep schedule! Maybe once he has the sleep training mastered, he can learn how to adapt to other situations besides home! :) love you guys!