Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Orchestra

My parents gave me the great opportunity to learn to play the cello starting in Jr. High. I played in the school's orchestra all through Jr. High and High School. I was lucky enough to have the same orchestra all six years: Ms. Kathy Bird Wilson. Ms. Wilson just retired from teaching. One of her former students orchestrated (pun intended) a surprise alumni reunion at her final concert. Through the efforts of Facebook, about 75 alumni returned to play "Ashoken Farewell" at the final concert. I was happy I got to represent my family. Matt, Megan, Heather, and I all did orchestra with Ms. Wilson. My parents also came and sat in the audience so that they could hear one of Ms. Wilson's concerts one last time. It was so fun for me to play in an orchestra again, even if it was only for one song. I really loved doing it in school, and I hope my kids will get that chance as well.





Dear Kathy,

I feel fortunate to have been one of those lucky orchestra students who had you as a teacher and conductor for six years in a row. How remarkable that was! It really enabled us to keep strong bonds, which I believe helped us play better. We knew you cared about us, and we knew you expected the best from us. I know I tried to play my best for you, but I do feel guilty about my tardiness in high school!

I have a couple strong memories I would like to share with you. The first is of my chance to play a piano concerto with the orchestra at the Mountain Ridge Jr. High Grand Concert. It was such an honor for me. I am truly grateful that you extended that opportunity to me.

The final memory is of my infamous moment when I, walking through class with my cello, tripped over a chair and landed on top of my cello, completely snapping the neck in half. I was mortified. What truly stands out to me is your reaction. You did not get angry with me. Instead, realizing how embarrassed I felt, you sent Todd {her son} home to bring back your own cello so that I could still have an instrument to use in class. I really felt your love for me as a student that day.

Thank you for your great influence in my life!

Sincerely,

Katie Hunsaker Robbins

No comments: