Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Klondike Derby

This past weekend, February 11 & 12, I went on the Klondike Derby with the scouts in my ward. I survived the night without much sleep. I had to decide whether to leave my face out of the sleeping bag and freeze, or keep my head in the bag with limited air. So it was a night of falling asleep with my head in the bag then waking up to get some air - falling asleep with my face out of the bag and waking up to move back in the bag for warmth. Next time I will be much more prepared as my valentine got me a face mask for the cold. I also forgot my earplugs, so I had a hard time falling asleep to the singing of the scouts next to our camp.

Even though I didn't sleep well, I did have a great time. Friday night we played capture the flag with all the scouts. We spent Saturday watching the scouts participate in the various activities provided by the camp, which included a sled race, orienteering, fire building, and knot tieing. Overall it was a good experience, but I'm glad it only happens once a year.

1 comment:

grandmalinda said...

Burrrr, that sounds so cold. Your scouts are lucky to have you for their leader. I am glad that you only have to camp in the snow once a year.